New Immigrants to Canada
Welcome to Canada! We are pleased that you have chosen Canada as your new home. There are many supports available to help newly arrived Jamati members establish a sense of belonging and good quality of life in this new chapter of their lives.
We encourage any community member who has moved to Canada within the last two years to introduce themselves to their local Jamati leadership or register online to be contacted by a volunteer for settlement assistance.
Read more about what to expect in your first few weeks of coming to Canada, including how to find a place to live, a job, schooling options, ways to get around your new city, information on Canadian laws, health care, and more resources for settling in Canada. In addition to Jamati support, you may wish to take advantage of the many newcomer services in your community.
Language Improvement Classes
If you are a permanent resident or a protected person, the following English or French language classes are available to newcomers at no cost:
- Have your international credentials recognized in Canada through free career bridge programs
- Colleges and institutes have been using a suite of well-developed tools, processes and quality practices that allow people to receive recognition for what they bring from previous training and work experience, known as Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR). Please visit this page for more information and reach out to a college near you and ask about PLAR
- Get your credentials assessed here
- Special processing instructions for temporary residence, permanent residence and citizenship applications
- Passport services at all Service Canada offices are suspended until further notice. You can only get passport services if you need to travel urgently
- Resettlement departures for refugees is temporarily suspended
- IRCC during COVID-19 for visitors, foreign workers, and international students.
- Pathways to Belonging and Influence. Learn more at Audio Conversations: Pathways to Belonging and Influence
- If you need financial help to return to Canada, check COVID-19: Financial help for Canadians outside Canada
- Sign up with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service to stay connected with the Government of Canada in case of an emergency abroad or an emergency at home
- برای دیدن مطالب فارسی، مطالب مهم در باره کرونا را کلیک کنید
You can also call Jamati Service Line at 1-888-536-3500. The Access Line provides you with information or access to resources, within and outside the Jamat, that can help you.
For further support or inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Refugee’s Resettlement Journey to Canada